The Rundown: QND soccer beats SHG, Unity and Macomb volleyball sweep, Miller tosses one-hitter
Check out the news and notes from a busy Tuesday on the prep sports scene …
• Trailing an unbeaten opponent by a goal midway through the first half, the Quincy Notre Dame boys soccer team trusted in its attack to adequately answer. The Raiders roared back for a 4-1 victory over Springfield Sacred Heart-Griffin on the road.
Colin Kurk scored off a Cole Henkenmeier corner kick to tie the game, and Tanner Anderson’s goal off a Jacob Vincent assist gave the Raiders a 2-1 halftime lead. Leo Cann scored twice in the second half off a Jake Schisler throw-in and a 45-yard bomb over the keeper. The Raiders are 9-3.
• The Hannibal boys soccer team beat Mexico 9-1 to move to 3-0 in North Central Missouri Conference play. Bodie Rollins with two goals and three assists for the Pirates (6-3).
• The Unity volleyball team keeps rolling. The Mustangs dispatched Brown County 25-14, 25-15 as Kyra Carothers finished with 17 kills, Hayden Frankel had 16 assists and Caroline Knox served 10 points. The Mustangs are 15-3 overall.
• The Macomb volleyball team stayed undefeated with a 25-19, 25-21 victory at Illini West.
• Highland’s Payton Miller tossed a one-hit shutout in a 10-0 victory over Hannibal. She struck out nine and walked one. She also went 3 for 4 with three doubles and five RBIs. MiKayala Dreyer went 2 for 2 with three runs scored for Highland. Chloe Simms had the lone hit for Hannibal.
• The Palmyra softball team overcame a three-run deficit to beat South Shelby 7-5 on the road. Abbey Redd went 4 for 5 with three runs scored and Lexi Peuster finished 3 for 3 with two runs scored and two RBIs.
Miss Clipping Out Stories to Save for Later?
Click the Purchase Story button below to order a print of this story. We will print it for you on matte photo paper to keep forever.