Here is a sampling of what this year’s Hannibal football team accomplished:
• This was the 10th team in school history to win 10 or more games. The Pirates’ 13-1 record moved it past the 2015 club (12-1) to the top of the pedestal.
• Hannibal’s 97 touchdowns tie for 17th in a single season in state history. The Pirates’ 646 points rank 21st all-time. Both are single-season school records.
• Senior quarterback Courtland Watson finished the season with 1,992 yards passing and 4,835 for his career, both Hannibal records. Hannibal has had six consecutive years with a 1,000-yard passer after having just three in the previous 22 seasons. Watson also has the two highest single-season touchdown totals, 35 this year and 19 in 2020.
• Watson rushed for 1,753 yards in his career, with 792 coming this season.
• Sophomore all-purpose back Aneyas Williams finished as the second-highest scoring sophomore in state history with his 284 points. Only Brad Hocker of Archie, who registered 324 points in 1989, totaled more. Williams, who scored 47 touchdowns, fell three TDs shy of becoming the 16th player in Missouri history to score 50-plus touchdowns in a season.
• Hannibal has had four receivers catch 10 or more touchdown passes in a season, and Williams owns the top two marks, 24 this year and 13 in 2020. Mat Sims (11 in 2009) and Will Whitaker (10 in 2017) are the others.
• Williams will open the 2022 season with 1,477 career rushing yards and 2,014 career receiving yards. He also will enter his junior season with 68 career touchdowns and chasing the career record of 90 set by Shamar Griffith.
• Williams caught 64 passes for 1,301 yards, an average per catch of 20.33, topping Whitaker’s 19.36 mark in 2017. The record is for a minimum of 20 receptions in a season.
• Williams has passed the century mark with his 101 career catches. He’s the first Pirates player to reach triple figures in receptions.
Miss Clipping Out Stories to Save for Later?
Click the Purchase Story button below to order a print of this story. We will print it for you on matte photo paper to keep forever.Purchase Story