The Rundown: Solid debut for Hannibal girls, Pittsfield boys win opener, WIU women earn first victory
QUINCY — Kicking off Thanksgiving week with a flurry of activity as the Illinois boys basketball season got underway Monday night and the Missouri teams joined in the fun. Oh, college basketball season is in full swing, too. Here are some of Monday’s highlights …
• The Hannibal girls basketball team won Shawn Gaines’ debut as head coach with a 55-43 victory over Bowling Green at Korf Gym in Hannibal. Sophomore guard Mariah Mayfield led the Pirates with 16 points.
• The Culver-Stockton College men’s basketball team erased a five-point halftime deficit by scoring 54 points in the second half of an 88-78 victory over Hannibal-LaGrange University at the Mabee Sports Complex in Hannibal. Jalen Blaize scored 23 points to lead six Wildcats in double figures. C-SC shot 64 percent from the field in the second half. Jacob Staton led HLGU with 21 points.
• The Pittsfield boys basketball team opened its Thanksgiving tournament with a 56-30 victory over Liberty at Voshall Gym in Pittsfield. Elijah Mendenhall led the Saukees with 12 points. Gavin Fessler led the Eagles with 15 points. Payson Seymour lost 54-33 to Petersburg PORTA despite 11 points and 12 rebounds from Bryan Dieker.
• The Brown County and Unity girls basketball teams each improved to 3-0 in pool play of the Lady Hornet Classic in Mount Sterling. Brown County beat Beardstown 62-21 as Katey Flynn scored 33 points. Unity opened the game on a 17-1 run and beat Liberty 57-19.
• The Western Illinois University women’s basketball team picked up its first victory of the season by beating Chicago State 59-45 on the road. Zareia Chevre and Anna Deets led the Leathernecks with 12 points apiece.
Miss Clipping Out Stories to Save for Later?
Click the Purchase Story button below to order a print of this story. We will print it for you on matte photo paper to keep forever.