It’s game day! Muddy River Showcase to highlight area’s depth of talent and success
QUINCY — The depth of talent that will be on display Saturday during the second Muddy River Showcase is quite impressive.
Consider these stats:
• Among the 40 players comprising the four rosters, 14 scored 1,000 or more points in their high school careers;
• There are 14 planning on playing basketball in college;
• Two are going to be NCAA Division I athletes — one in basketball and the other in track;
• Five Showcase all-stars will be playing on their future home court as they have signed with John Wood Community College;
• One Quincy University recruit and three Culver-Stockton College recruits are in the mix;
• Two players headed to play in the Great Lakes Valley Conference are participating;
• There are two college football players, one volleyball player and one track and field athlete;
• Four Showcase participants have a father who played in the Illinois vs. Missouri all-star basketball game back in the day;
• Six players in the games earned all-state honors last winter;
• Twelve have been a part of a state trophy-winning team in at least one sport;
• Last winter, 25 players helped their respective teams win 20 or more games, while nine played for regional or district champions;
• And their future plans include becoming doctors, nurses, teachers, technicians, physical trainers, business leaders and laborers.
Put all of that together and it’s bound to be entertaining and competitive. The girls game begins at 4 p.m. at John Wood Community College’s Student Activity Center with the boys game to follow at 6 p.m.
Take a look at the rosters below:
Miss Clipping Out Stories to Save for Later?
Click the Purchase Story button below to order a print of this story. We will print it for you on matte photo paper to keep forever.